Today I am going to Six Flags with 54 REVOLUTION students and adults. In honor of this special day, I wanted to relive one of my favorite posts (originally posted August 19, 2008). Enjoy…
I am writing this post from a bench at Six Flags in Arlington, TX. Today I have been hanging out here with 25 students riding rollercoasters, talking, laughing, making memories, and having a great time.
As a seasoned, veteran youth minister I have spent my fair share of time in Six Flags. During that time in the popular theme park, I have made several what I like to call “Six Flags Observations” that I would like to share with you…
1. SIX FLAGS PDA – for those of you who do not know, PDA means public displays of affection. There is not many places in the world where it is 105 degrees, people hot and sweaty everywhere, a number of unflattering smells coming from the park and people, and still you see couples all over each other. I don’t know if it is the fear of near death from the last coaster or freedom from the watchful eyes of parents, but it is ridiculous. Please don’t be one of those people. There are little kids everywhere and they do not need to see you sticking your tongue down your significant other’s throat or rubbing her mid-thigh while waiting in line.
2. GIRL THAT WEARS BIKINI TOP AS A TOP – Do I really have to say much about this one? All I can say is would you wear a bra around in public? Of course not, so please don’t at Six Flags.
3. SIX FLAGS IS A CASH-EATING MACHINE – There is not many places where you can actually sell a drink (with refills available) for $15. I am not exagerating that price. We had to park three vehicles and it seriously cost $55. A new rule Six Flags has is that you cannot put your personal belongings in the storage containers at the start of each ride. They now make you rent a personal locker for $1 each time you ride. The funny thing is that almost everything they sell you or that you win cannot fit on the rides, earning them more money. They even make the water in the drinking fountains lukewarm, so you buy more ice cold water or soda. Everything is strategically planned for you to spend more money!
4. THE GIGANTIC PRIZE – You spend $45 playing ring toss and what is your prize? A gigantic, 40 pound Tweaty bird stuffed animal. It always seems that people win that prize within the first thirty minutes of being in the park and have to lug that life-sized Scooby Doo around with them all day. What do people actually do with that prize when they get home? And for those boyfriends that thinks winning your girlfriend a life-size Taz is romantic, please stop.
5. ADULT’S WEARING CAPES – There is nothing more embarrassing than seeing an adult man or woman wearing a superman cape. Leave that one to the kids.
What about you? Got any funny Six Flags/theme park stories or observations? I would love to laugh today.